Downer understands the wellness of our workers has a significant impact on their safety at work and their ability to thrive within our business.
Injury prevention is a critical part of improving worker wellness. Many workers at Downer engage in manual or repetitive tasks. Downer recognises that these workers may be at risk of degenerative injuries over time and as a result pursues the implementation of more effective controls to safeguard against these types of injury. If a worker starts to feel discomfort, Downer supports and encourages them to access health care services proactively before a debilitating injury occurs.
Downer also engages in the following, more traditional, ways of supporting the wellness and health of our workers through workplace health programs including:
- A dedicated injury management service to assist employees with both work-related and non-work-related injuries and illnesses to enable their return to work
- Injury prevention programs such as health assessments, pre-employment screening, industry defined medical assessments and executive medicals
- An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for employees and their families providing confidential counselling and access to a home doctor service and accredited practising dieticians
- Ergonomic office spaces
- ‘Walk to work’ programs to encourage workers to meet and walk to work together
- A Manager Assistance service that helps managers and team leaders to manage difficult workplace situations
- Access to education programs specifically developed to support those with supervisory, or leadership responsibilities
- Flexible working arrangements
- Education programs
- Early intervention programs such as drug and alcohol testing, and a zero tolerance to the presence of these substances in our workers
- Fund raising casual clothing days
- Participation in health promotion events, such as Movember, R U OK? Day and Stress Down Day
- Access to fresh fruit in the workplace
- Provision of clean and comfortable facilities to take a break, or enjoy lunch
- Benefits such as discounts on gym memberships, health insurance and holidays.