Downer has consistently achieved strong health and safety results in sectors that are exposed to high-risk activities. While we are proud of our safety performance, we also understand we face challenges to maintain and improve this record, and continuously engage with our people to safeguard against complacency in the workforce.
Our commitment to the health and safety of our people and our communities is expressed in strong safety leadership, engagement with our workforce and stakeholders, and a continual focus on identifying and managing risks.
This commitment is reflected in the results we have achieved and our increased presence as Zero Harm thought leaders. Downer’s health and safety commitments are outlined in our Health and Safety Policy, which can be found on the Downer website.
In FY19, Downer committed to achieving the following health and safety targets and objectives:
- Maintain and improve safety results. Downer set a target of zero work-related fatalities, maintaining a Lost Time Injury Frequency Rate (LTIFR) <0.9, and maintaining a Total Recordable Injury Frequency Rate (TRIFR) <4.0
- Increase presence as Zero Harm thought leaders through industry collaboration and consultation
- Unify Zero Harm management systems
- Enhance Critical Risk program and integrate into Hawkins and Spotless
- Improve safety leadership programs
- Increase awareness and support programs to promote the wellness and health of our workers.
The performance information in this section includes Downer, its contractors and Downer employees involved in unincorporated joint ventures in the following business lines: Transport and lnfrastructure; Mining, Energy and Industrial; and New Zealand, but excludes Spotless and Hawkins.