Downer’s vision for reconciliation is one where all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are treated equally in all relationships and their cultures and histories are celebrated and respected.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities are key to establishing positive outcomes and legacies where we deliver work.
In FY21, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples made up 1.64 per cent of Downer’s Australian workforce. While this is below Downer’s long-term target of three per cent, we remain focused on identifying opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment in order to reach our target.
We are committed to continue increasing Downer’s cultural competency and capability, and to being an organisation that demonstrates leadership and respects Indigenous communities right across Australia.
Engagement occurs via Downer’s experienced and qualified Indigenous specialist team, which informs and supports the Business Units to help them understand Indigenous cultural protocols. This team also works with community leaders and Recognised Aboriginal Businesses to develop plans that effectively deliver work across homelands which respect their ongoing traditional custodianship and provide lasting employment and subcontractor scope of work opportunities.
Innovate RAP. This will be our first RAP covering both Downer and Spotless, enabling the lessons learned from both organisations to be shared and aligning our commitments, programs, initiatives and outcomes.
Promoting Indigenous culture and building the cultural awareness of our workforce is critical to building relationships based on trust and respect. This includes:
- Continuing to provide Indigenous Cultural Awareness training as a key enabler to an inclusive and safe workplace
- Participating in National Reconciliation Week and NAIDOC Week celebrations across the organisation
- Holding smoking ceremonies conducted by local Traditional Owners at the commencement of projects
- Providing support systems to the business to increase procurement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses
- Supporting Indigenous trainee and apprenticeship programs
- Including a supported prequalification process for inclusion of Indigenous businesses into our supply chains
- Working with several Indigenous joint venture partners to enable growth and expanded employment opportunities for their people
- Embedding best practice cultural heritage monitoring within large-scale on-country project deliveries.